Problem solving methods
I’m working on categorizing problem solving methods. If you see one I have missed please comment!
Order is for ease of reference only and does not imply any other meaning.
- Divide problem into two parts until solved (divide and conquer, recursively)
- Visualize problem
- Find or use an Example
- Inverse / counter point
- Guess and check, especially around testing assumptions / similar examples
- Search for existing knowledge
- Reference generally related material / nearby material
- Weighting / voting
- Thought experiment
- Iteration (on existing progress)
- Naive, iterate through all known possible angles
- Create additional constraints / ignore part of the problem
- Do the opposite of what you have been doing
Some of these may be overly broad. For example Collaboration is a catch all for almost anything involving other people.